Danielle and Ani ring in the New Year with a conversation about Social Media and how to best utilize it to your advantage.
Point #1: Value Your Energy
- There are people who spend huge chunks of their day leaving nasty comments on other people’s art, blogs, and photos. Since we’re all human, we might be thinking what they’re saying but we don’t actually type it.
- Ani: That’s so much negative energy. My bubble, my space, and the people I surround myself with – I value that energy so much that I would never think to take the time to be purposefully nasty to someone else.
Ask Yourself: What have you been giving energy to that is no longer serving you?
Point #2: Tool or Trigger?
- Danielle and Ani agree that things don’t trigger them the way they used to. They no longer allow in their space nor do they give energy to certain things or people.
- Danielle: Social Media is a beautiful tool. You either use it to be social OR you use your social media as a tool. If I’m going to run a successful business, I have to be in a place of creation. If you let all these trolls bog you down, then you’ll start second-guessing everything you do.
Ask Yourself: How has Social Media benefited your business because you are using it as a tool?
Point #3: The Art of Reframing
- Ani suggests using the art of Reframing when people say negative things about you or your art. Reframing is interpreting what people say any way you choose.
- Ani: Our initial reaction is to protect and defend ourselves. But don’t let some asshole make you play small. Don’t stop putting out your content, your videos, and your photos. At the end of the day, you can’t make everybody happy.
Ask Yourself: Where in your world would the Art of Reframing change the game for you?
Point #4: Block & Delete
- Danielle believes that if you’re willing to put yourself out there on social media to build your business, just understand that when people say negative things about you, that’s a part of the game. She reminds us to stay the course, delete those people, and block those people.
- “Be confident in what you’re doing and where you’re going. If you’re getting results by putting yourself out there, that should be enough validation about you and your path. You don’t need to deal with anybody else’s shit regardless of what they say.”
Ask Yourself: Who do you know you need to block or delete on social media? What are you waiting for?
Point #5: Protect Your Space
- Ani: At the end of the day, people are judging you based on their perception of you. Those who speak negatively about me don’t even know me, so why would I ever give them retail space inside my mind when they don’t deserve it?
- Danielle: If you find yourself obsessing about someone or something, where else could you take that energy? What could you do to put that energy towards something that actually benefits you, that helps you in business, and that helps you in life?
Ask Yourself: Who or what are you allowing to take up space in your mind that is ultimately sucking the energy out of your life?
Quote of the Week:
“Don’t fucking defend yourself over a troll. They’re not worth your time. Instead, focus on yourself and your business. If you’re comfortable with who you are, keep that tunnel vision; keep plowing forward. You don’t need to waste your time defending shit.”
“I encourage you to go through your social media and gut or unfollow people. Whatever you need to do, just do it. Anything that affects your peace of mind, and your sanity – your happy place – is NEVER worth it.”