Today I wanna talk about the unsung hero of hairstyles…
The messy b u n
Everyone is all about braids these days, that I feel like the iconic hairstyle has really taken a backseat, and for far too long.
So I’m here to shed some light on the braid’s bastard brother: The Bun
A few reasons why I dig the bun:
- He can be styled so many different ways (side, high, low, tight, looped, wadded…do I have to go on, or are you seeing how versatile he is??)
- The messier he is, the better
- There’s no wrong way to do a bun
- Everyone can manage this style, even if hair isn’t your thing
- The style is flattering on all face shapes
Monday at work, the girls and I all decided to style our hair in a bun, and take pics, to show you how something so simple, can still translate to s’cute!
Turns out, the buns were easy to style and took us each less than 5 minutes. But taking pictures of ourselves…a whole other story. Shit took foreverrrrrrr.
I’ll be the first to admit I am NOT photogenic. I have a giraffe neck, paired with a chubby, round mouse face (think Gus Gus from Cinderella. He’s the Disney character I identify the most with).
Stacie is drop dead gorgeous, but hates the camera and gets angry pretty quick, so we call her Jafar. (That is her Disney spirit animal).
Then there’s Kayla. She is super photogenic and radiates positivity and light. She could be any damn Disney princess she wants, she’s just that perfect. And thank God, because she really carried the weight of the pictures; from telling us where to sit to stealing the limelight (which Stacie and I were glad to give up). Have I mentioned how awkward we are?
So if you feel like doing a bun, here are three different ways to wear it:
- High like Kayla // add a head scarf for extra style
2. Low, simple, and to the side like Stacie
3. Mid to low in the back like me // add a turban to hide dirty hair 😉
I like how the buns all look effortless and not like anyone tried too hard. If fashion or hair looks too forced, I just can’t vibe with it.
Check out the buns on those beyatches! Mwah-ha-ha…
So if you’re not in the mood to braid, and you’re over wearing your hair down…wad it up, and call it a day. If I see you on the street, I’ll be the first to compliment your bun.
Jafar, Cinderella, and Gug Gus